ABC QUICK CHECK
Inspect your bike before every ride
Before each ride, check your bike to make sure it’s safe to ride. Use “ABC Quick Check” as an easy reminder for which areas of your bike are important to review before you head out.
If your bike does not pass the ABC Quick Check, please contact us for service or repair. For assistance, you can bring your bike to Landry's Service Department.
“A” is for air
- Inflate tires to the rated pressure as indicated on the sidewall of the tire. A bicycle pump is recommended.
- Use a pressure gauge to ensure proper tire pressure. (Bicycle tires need to be re-inflated more often than car tires, and properly inflated tires reduce the chance of flats.)
- Check for damage to tire tread and sidewall; replace tire if worn.
“B” is for brakes
- Rotate wheels to check that nothing is rubbing.
- Inspect brake pads for wear; replace is there is less than 1/4" of pad left.
- Check adjustment on brake pads; make sure they do not rub tire or dive into spokes.
- Check adjustment of brake levers. When applied, there should be least 1" between each lever and the handlebar.
“C” is for cranks, chain, and cassette
- Chain should be clean, lubricated, and quiet — not chattering, squeaking, or squealing!
- Use a lubricant that’s specifically designed for bicycles.
- If your chain skips while riding, you might need a new chain, a new cassette, and/or an adjustment.
- Make sure that your crank bolts are tight.
“Quick” is for quick releases
- Wheels need to be tight in the frame, with the hub’s quick-release lever fully engaged at 90° angle. Learn how to adjust quick releases for wheels.
- Your hub quick release should point back to insure that nothing catches on it.
- Inspect brake quick releases to insure that they are engaged.
“Check” is for check it over
- Inspect the bike for loose or broken parts; tighten, replace or fix them.
- Check to make sure that your helmet is snug and level on you head, with straps snugly adjusted.
- Take a quick ride to check if derailleurs and brakes are working properly.
- Pay extra attention to your bike during the first few miles of the ride.
Source for "ABC Quick Check" procedure: League of American Bicyclists.
More Tech Tips from Landry's
Check out more tips on basic bicycle maintenance to keep you and your bike riding smoothly.